Friday, June 22, 2012

Welcome to the Jungle

We are literally living in the jungle here north of Chiang Rai, Thailand. It is lush with green tall trees everywhere. Simply beautiful.

With the jungle look comes the jungle feel. We are lucky enough to have beds off the ground (most of the volunteers don't) and we have something called "squatters" for toilets (Google it). I've seen bugs that I didn't know existed a. Look forward to those pictures. We eat rice each meal and I'm not really sure what accompanies it sometimes. Luky enough for me they have a little store that sales things like coke, pringles, and oreos. Perfect diet right?

So far my teaching experiences have been amazing. I've taught Monks that want us to sing Lady Gaga to them, children that are terminally ill, and a class of adorable Thai children.

The other volunteers are from all over the world (London, Ireland, Canada, China, Japan, Scotland, France, Italy, and Spain to name a few). I'm perfecting my British accent and hopefully before the trip is over I'll gget them to call the hogs. The next international trip I take may or may not be already in the works, but don't worry Mom this one involves Double Decker bus rides instead of elephants.

The internet is sparce here so my post will be few and far between but here is what I'm looking forward to in the coming days.
-Weekend trip to Chaing Mai
-Living in one of the Hilltribe villages
-Elephant riding
-Tours of temples
-Hilltribe dance
-Western food.

I love you all! I know that I have loads of people praying for me back home and I feel your prayers everyday!

PS- I tried crickets and larva. No, it does not taste like chicken.

1 comment:

  1. You need to sing the monks "popcorn" they would probably love it. the geckos are the protection we are praying for, you need to name them, and remember to thank them for eating the spiders that would attempt to come in your room. :)

    ReplyDelete