Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sure, Why not?

"You only live life once, but if you do it right once should be enough."
-Mae West

This summer one of my favorite moments in Thailand was with our translator P'Kahton. She was from the Karen village and steadily building her English. One day while waiting for our ride (in the back of a truck of course) to pick us up from the local hospital, we asked her if we could stop at 7-11 on the way home. She said yes followed by a huge grin on her face. She firmly stated "ask me again." Confused, I followed her prompting. She then whipped out the phrase "sure, why not?"



She laughed hysterically which made me laugh even harder. She was so proud of her English slang. I have no doubt that the phrase was in part to mock us crazy white people. I also know that based on the structure of  Thai culture, 'sure why not' is a rather whimsical thought.
I graduate in two months. I have no idea what I'm doing, where I'm going to live, or who I will do it all with. I've always had a plan and thus far each plan I have ever made  has never ended up the way it was suppose to. Luckily, they have always been much better. So this is my new game plan, figure it out as I go. While I know that eventually responsibility will be required in order for me to continue growing, right now I'm taking life as it comes. I'm going to Canada for the day, I am attending concerts I have never heard of, and inviting hundreds of people to my house for kissing booth parties...



...because, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment