Monday, October 4, 2010

A letter a day...

To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart.  
Phyllis Theroux

So being a Mormon young adult female pretty much means that the friends of the opposite sex and even some of the same sex will go M.I.A for a few years and the only correspondents you can have with them will be through hand writing letters. It's a process that my generation never has really experienced so I feel like it's breaking the norm each time I sit down to right a three page hand written letter. 

I almost get a feeling of peace though because it's like capturing your memories on a piece of paper. Very rewarding so I highly recommend it to those of you who haven't done it in a while. If you don't have anyone to write I'm more than willing to accept all/any letters that come my way. 

I also feel that when I write letters I'm saying things pretty straight from the heart. You're hand just keeps going and before ya know it you've got down on paper sentences and phrases about your day that you had yet to think about. Almost euphoric. 

The best part about writing a letter is the anticipation of getting one back. Once it's sent I feel like I should instantly get a response since generally when you text or facebook chat even you get the instant gratification of knowing what the recipient has to say about your message. I think letter writing in this way is a good patience builder for me. I actually have to wait for a response. There is little to no instant gratification in sending a letter to France. 


So today I'm mailing out three different letters to three separate parts of the world. Now I wait for the response. 

Another pro to letter writing- having a cool roommate who writes letters too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment