"The sould is healed by being with a child."
-English Proverb
One of the projects here that you can do is crafts at the hospital. The first time that I went I was able to spend my time there with this beautiful Thai girl that has DS. She was so much like Kirsti it was crazy! (Miss you squirt!) She unlike some of the other kids is not sick. Since she has a disability there is no where else for her to go so she spends her time in the hospital. She is so use to volunteers there that she knows to tell our Thai translators what she wants us to know and completes the crafts that we bring so quickly. She told me that I was beautiful and it made my heart melt.
My next visit to the hospital I was taken downstairs. Keep in mind that Thai hospitals like most things in Thailand are much different than at home. They are obviously not as clean and they require you to look the other way to avoid seeing things you just do not want to see. I was guided into this big lobby area were there were rows of beds. In these beds were some of the sweetest little kids I've ever seen. They had IVS hooked to their arms and scattered family members. I couldn't really ever grasp why they were there but I sat down with a seven year old boy who was receiving a blood transfusion and his two year old little brother. Their mother was napping on the bed next to them and it looked like she was about 5 months pregnant. Their dad assured them I was safe and they did crafts me for the afternoon. They sang the ABC song and counted with me. The dad taught the little boy how to give me a thumbs up. When it was finally time to go home I was waving goodbye when the baby brother started blowing me kisses!!!!!! AH! (I don't have any pictures because we weren't allowed to take them.)
These moments make me so grateful for all I have. I know that I promised mom that I wouldn't bring any Thai children home but who wouldn't want another Kirsti around? :)


No comments:
Post a Comment