"Quote about knowledge here."
For the past 22 years I have been speaking English. I would like to think that I'm pretty good at it. Yes sometimes my slang words are not exactly lady like and sometimes I even speak with a southern drawl but overall I speak English well.
So when I decided to come to Thailand to volunteer as an English teacher I wasn't so worried. However until there is a communication barrier you never appreciate communication until it has been interrupted.
Each week we are assigned different classes to teach. We were told last week that there would be an "English camp" that we would attend that was pretty far from the foundation so we would spend the day at the school. On Tuesday morning we were picked up in a nice bus (a major change from the back up pick-ups). We arrived at the school and were greeted by a lovely room with fresh cakes and beverages. The director came in and told us in broken English about his school. The teachers were so welcoming and it made us excited to teach. Since the school was not used to volunteers the kids were extra excited and eager for us to teach them. They followed us around, asked for hugs, and loved to say "Hi!"
We were feed a FEAST for lunch including decoratively cut fruit. We were able to learn more about the school from a young Thai girl who recited acts to us in English. The two English teachers chatted with us. The older teacher taught us how to correctly eat and even a few new phrases. Her laugh was so contiagious and I felt so a home there.
I was so sad to leave. She offered to kidnap me and I almost complied but told her I'd make it back. Sure enough I was able to go again on the last day of camp! I wore the t-shirt they had given me and she just laughed that I had it. (It might possibly be the coolest blue glittered rooster t-shirt you've ever seen.)
The kids were so fun! We taught nature so we went on an outdoor adventure with them. Afterwards I signed around 150 autographs because they love for us to leave them English messages. It is like we are celebrities. I taught the kids how to pound it. I'm not sure if that was a good skill or not but it made me laugh each time.
After another fantastic lunch we were shown the culture room. Inside it had Thai money, lanterns, and other art. Some of the kids were making bowls and other goods out of banana leafs. I asked so many questions. I couldn't get enough. The culture teacher then showed us how to make decorative designs.
At the end of the day they took us back to the White Temple. The younger English teacher had never had the chance to visit the temple even though she has lived in this area her whole life. I was so grateful for a personal tour guide this time around.
English camp was such a great experience. I enjoyed the children and most of all enjoyed the people that I got to know. The people of Thailand are so giving and loving. I feel so blessed for this opportunity to learn from others and have so many amazing experiences.





No comments:
Post a Comment